Saturday, January 29, 2011

Missionary [mish-uh-ner-ee]

Have you ever looked up the definition of a 'missionary?'  It's really very interesting:

Missionary [mish-uh-ner-ee]
noun, plural -ar·ies, adjective



1. a super-religious person who goes very far away to another country to tell people about Jesus
2. one who has received a special 'calling from the Lord' to do missions overseas
3. one whose purpose is unique to other normal Christians
4. one who will receive more crowns in Heaven
5. a person who solicits donations from church-goers to feed starving children in 3rd world countries
6. a naturally-humble person, who never struggles with common sins and stands out from all normal Christians
7. a person who is particularly strong in character, whom others admire and wish they could be like























So yeah.  I'm really frustrated right now.  I don't want to blog out of frustration, but there are some things I NEED to talk through.


What did you think of that set of definitions?  (I made them up, in case someone didn't catch that)  Maybe not what you would say OUTLOUD, but is it not true that we make 'missions' to be this huge, overseas, 'calling,' spiritual, character thing?  I mean, really.  Ok, here's what the dictionary REALLY says:


Missionary [mish-uh-ner-ee]
noun, plural -ar·ies, adjective
1. a person sent by a church into an area to carry on evangelism or other activities, as educational or hospital work.
2. a person strongly in favor of a program, set of principles, etc., who attempts to persuade or convert others.
3. a person who is sent on a mission.
4. engaged in such a mission, or devoted to work connected with missions.
5. reflecting or prompted by the desire to persuade or convert others


So, ONE definition says that missions can involve being 'sent...into an area,' and sent by a church.  What about the other definitions?    They seem to be listing basic traits of a Christ-follower.  Are we not strongly in favor of a truth which we attempt to explain to others?  WE- as Christians.  As....missionaries.  Have we not been given a mission, which we are now engaged in?  We were commissioned to tell the world of the saving power of Jesus Christ's blood.


So yeah, what about 'the Holy Spirit will empower you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth?'  What about 'all authority in Heaven and on earth has been given to me, THEREFORE go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."



SO MANY people say to me, 'Oh, I'm just so proud of you.  I could never do what you're training to do.  I haven't really been called to do that, but I'm so glad you're excited about it.'  And this breaks my heart.  I appreciate the encouragement....but they're missing it.  They don't understand that 'missions' is for every believer.  It's not a job, but an overflowing of our hearts.  Jesus said that the greatest commandment is to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength.  The second is like it, to love others as ourselves.  Well, we can't very well be loving others if we don't TELL them about the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  What is our purpose on earth?  To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.  We have the incredible privilege of being a part of bringing the God of the Universe glory! 


I'm not talking about going overseas to tell people about Jesus, here.  That is it's own issue, between you and God. This post is not about telling everyone to go overseas or 'you're not obeying the Great Commission.' 


I simply want to point out that the term 'missionary' is somehow perceived as a job for super brave or extra Godly Christians.  No, no- we are ALL 'missionaries.'  Those of you who KNOW me, know that I am NOT a super-brave anything.  But WHO CARES.  I have the honor of being a part in God's plan that the whole world come to know Him.  So I'll trust Him, His strength, and His faithfulness. 


I am convinced that 'I could never do that' is a lie from the pit of Hell.  No one is asking YOU to DO anything.  WE are nothing.  HE prepares the hearts of people.  HE directs us.  HE brings glory to His name THROUGH us.  Maybe you recognize your own helpless and feel like the father of the demon-possessed boy.  When Jesus asked Him if believed, he cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”  You don't have to FEEL brave or prepared. 


Anyway...I hope that all made sense.  I just...I want to remind you, dear brothers and sister- that the victory has ALREADY BEEN WON!  We cannot fail!  We get to be a part.  Don't get distracted by terminology.  We all have the same mission, thus making us 'missionaries.'  Don't let yourself miss out.

No comments:

Post a Comment